Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can u clone drives? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

elziko

Programmer
Nov 7, 2000
GB
I'm about to get a new hard drive and I cant to copy everything (including operating system) from the old one to the new one so that my computer doesn't seem any different.

I dont want to just add the new hard drive and use the old one as is because the new one will be faster and I want my OS on it.

I dont want to re-install everything on the new one because I've only just re-installed everything on the new one... including VS.NET which is why I have just found that I need more space.

Can this be done easily?

What software do I need?

Cheers

elziko

Use Symantec Ghost to replicate the data from drive to drive

Hi, you can use a lot of programs like ghost, drive image, Imagecast and a lot that I'm missing.

Norton Ghost works well (assuming you have a cd-r). Just be aware that it isn't really a point and click your way through type program. Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

don't need CD-R for Ghost... I just got a copy (sorry, don't remember the version) and you can ghost from one partition to another, or 1 drive to another... Just set the new one up as the pri-slave ghost to it, and switch it to pri-master and the old drive to pri-slave.

Have to check that one out, I have an older version! Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

Use ghost, connect your new HD to the secondary IDE(the one your cd should be connected to).
Enter BIOS and ensure that the system picks it up.

Boot up from the ghost boot disk you should have created and image disk to disk, make sure that the correct HD is choosen for source.

Don't forget. Unique SID's require changing after cloning. We use Ghost...but prior to clononing we also use the Sysprep utility. It is great and allows for great replicas of a core image for distribution to multiple people.

I've tried making a Ghost Boot Disk but cant find any options to image from DRIVE to DRIVE! Just onto the network. What type of boot disk do I need and can someone give me a little more information?

And from what I understand, if u clone a drive the SID remains the same on the cloned drive as it was on the original? Since I am cloning a drive to be used on the same machine this is OK... isnt it? So I dont need sysprep.

Cheers,

elziko

If you're having trouble with Ghost, your new drive's Manufacturer's site will probably have a utility to do what you want which you can download.
And you're right about SID/sysprep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back