Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can this be run faster (NOT EXISTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave796

Technical User
Aug 21, 2005
I have a table Full Register List containing about 8000 registers along with each of the weeks they are run in the fields are register_id, register_group, WeekNo which are combined to make the primary key. So for each register_id and register_group there is usually a record for each week the register runs i.e week 7 to 48. I want to compare this to a list of register weeks that have been marked. These are stored in dbo_stthpwka and I want to return registers that don't exist (haven't been marked) so I am currently looking at:

SELECT A.*
FROM [Full Register List] AS A
WHERE NOT EXISTS (SELECT * From dbo_stthpwka WHERE dbo_stthpwka.register_id = A.register_id and dbo_stthpwka.register_group = A.register_group and dbo_stthpwka.week_no = WeekNo);

This is from MS access so I would obviously need to change syntax but it does seem to take a long time to run. Is there a better way to get the same results. It runs overnight so speed is not of absolute importance but the 8000 records I currently have will probably be multiplied by 20 or 30 in live environment so will take a very long time.

I mostly solved the problem changed to this:

SELECT A.*, B.register_group AS Out
FROM [Full Register List] AS A LEFT JOIN dbo_stthpwka AS B ON (B.register_id = A.register_id and B.register_group = A.register_group and B.week_no = WeekNo)
WHERE B.register_group NOT LIKE "*";

This runs near instantly however you may notice I have put a not like statement in the where clause. I dont know if this is an access feature but I tried B.register_group = null and B.register_group = "" and it returns no results. If anyone knows why this is let me know.

WHERE B.register_group IS NULL

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back