Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can this be done?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsa

Programmer
Jun 20, 2000
US
I will need to create code that will look at a certain file in a zipped file so I can have it compare against the original file to be sure I've zipped and named the right one.

Our current process is to write batch files that uses winzip to zip files into .zip files before we make them self-extracting. I want to be able to verify that the files in the .zip files are correct. I have an idea how to go about this with the exception of writing code to look at a file in a zip file so I can compare it to the original. I don't want to unzip it, just "view" it and check a certain line in the file. It is a text file.

Has anyone done this? If so, what worked for you? Mary :)

Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Rule 2: EVERYTHING is small stuff!! X-)

I have dealt with this one before. I used batch files and process handles to control zip functions in a VB app. I too wanted to verify data in the archive before unzipping it. What you need is a zip program that that exposes and documents some functions. I didn't find one. Look for an OCX of DLL that claims to provide a zip interface. Winzip doesn't have it, but their might be someone else.

It's been a while since I looked.

I heard the latest versions of windows support zip files without additional software. There might be some exposed functionality in the new Win32 API

Unfortunately, I'm required to use winzip. I want this to look/work slick because I could get some added benefits from it. Mary :)

Rule 1: Don't sweat the small stuff.
Rule 2: EVERYTHING is small stuff!! X-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back