Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can there be workflow precedence between datapumps? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelwenzel

Programmer
Jun 28, 2002
I have two transfer tasks (arrows) going between two connections. I want the second transfer tasks to start after the first one is finished.

Thie problem is that they are executing at the same time. I need to attach workflow precedence to them but I don't know how.

The way I proceed is split the transfer task into two.

A=Transform Data Task=>B==On Sucess==>C==Transform Data Task==>D

Your method as Follows
A&C==Transform Data Task==>BD

Hope this clarifies your question

Dr.Sql
Good Luck.

yes, you are right. Ok, I split it up....but now I have several instances of Server Providers and Transform Data Tasks between them. Is it bad to have multiple instances of Server providers

Hi joelwenzel

You can have different connections or use existing ones. For example, you may have a connection called Source and one called Destination.

To reuse these, you can have multiple transform data tasks between the two icons, which are controlled using workflows.

An alternative to this is create the required Source and Destination connections, giving them understandable names and setting anything else required. You can then drag another connection onto the design surface, and choose the Existing connection radio button, and select the desired named connection from the drop down list, rather than specifiying a new connection.

If you look up DTS Connections in Books Online, it tells you about how tasks are run (serial and parallel) when you use separate or the same connections.

HTH :)

Am I searching the right site?

I think it's like you say, my tasks are running in parallel and I need them to run in serial.

I like that idae about using an existing connection in a new sever object. I didn't know I could do that.

As for using just two connections (source and destination), I don't think I can use workflows between them. But I can use them between destination and source2 (this has only been what I've learned when trying to do it. I'm probably just not doing something right)

Hi

You can use two connections (provided they are the only ones you need), but personally, I prefer dragging on new server objects and setting them to the existing connections as it's easier to see the workflows etc...

I suggest you do it that way, set up all the transform data tasks as you need to, then set the workflows between the destination server of the first task and the source server for the next task and so on.

Sorry about the books online comment. I meant the SQL Server help that comes with SQL Server. If you're in enterprise manager, or query analyzer or whatever, just hit the F1 key to open it up. Or navigate to it by going to Start->All Programs->Microsoft SQL Server->Books Online.

Before I replied, I checked my idea by opening up Books Online, filtering the active subset to be Data Transformation Services (top left drop down box - optional step), choosing the index tab and typing in Connections. Underneath connections-SQL Server is an entry called DTS. Double click that and select DTS Connections from the dialog that appears. I think this would be a good place for you to start.

I find it really useful. And remember, F1 is your friend.

:)

P.S. Another tip, is in Query Analyzer, highlight a reserved word and click on Shift+F1 to open help on that word/function. Standard help stuff I think, but thought I'd add it in case you didn't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back