Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can the StarTalk's intercom number be changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgmisk

Technical User
May 10, 2005
US
Have recently installed several new (used) sets to our Norstar and Star Talk Mini system. We have chosen "236" as one of the set DNs, but cannot get that set to open its assigned mailbox which is also "236". I have discovered "Feature985" reports that "236" is something called the "Star Talk intercom number". I suspect that this has something to do with the problem. Can this "Star Talk intercom number" be changed to something else? And, if yes, how do I go about doing so? Any light you can shed on this would be both most helpful and most appreciated!

the same way you'd change any other extension # -
under config/ system programming

your voicemail and phone are on the same dn? change dns but make sure before you do that all your vm settings fna, fob,ext wont be affected.

If you have 236 showing up as a DN, and it is also your startalk DN, then you have something wrong and you should call a vendor. You can change it as Senks said, but if you do your voice mail probably will not work correctly any longer for any of the sets.

Instead of just choosing an extension, plug the telephone in, when you get time and date on the telephone, press Feature *0 and press the intercom key - look at the display - the system will tell you what extension is actually assigned to the telephone. Whatever extension the telephone comes up as, create the mailbox for it. By following this procedure, you will avoid conflicts with DN's that are already assigned in the system.

To [COLOR=red yellow]senk1s[/color], while I know how to change the DN for any given set, I can't find any means for changing the VM system's DN. [COLOR=red yellow]drdebug and bkrike[/color] both caution that other settings may be involved if I change the VM DN. Do you know if that is the case or not? and to [COLOR=red yellow]gecko202002[/color], the reason I have posted this question is because the set and the Star Talk Mini VM DN are both set at "236", thus the reason that I want to change the VM DN! Yes, I could just change the set DN, but paperwork has already been generated with that employee's extension and mailbox# and it might actually be easier to change the VM DN than to change the set DN because of this! What I really need to know is the procedure to change the VM DN. Can any of you help with that? I do appreciate all your responses so far. Thank you for trying to help!

Move the startalk to another port, and reprogram fna,fob.
f985 will tell you the new dn for the star talk

To [COLOR=red yellow]covcom[/color], That is exactly what I want to do. I would like to move the startalk to another DN. How do I do that? That is what I am asking for help with in this forum. What are the steps to change the StarTalk Mini's DN? After that, how do I reprogram the fna,fob? Can you help me with all this?

you will have to relocate a pair of wires comming from
system, can you do this?.. do you have a night service
button for aa auto answer?.

If you need additional help beyond the recommendations of this thread, then you should call your vendor. Step by step instructions is not the purpose of this forum, nor would it help in this case. There are to many unknowns. For instance is there even an open port to move the VM to? Allot of installers put the VM on the last open port, so you may not have any left.

How your voice mail is programmed is another unknown: If your settings call for DRT to VM, or the VM is the prime set for lines, moving it would also affect that.

I hope not because of me Covcom. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from helping rgmisk. I'm just trying to let him know the scope of what is involved.

No problem. rgmisk, bkrike is right, You probably need to buy ext 236 new business cards.

you should really call your vendor... Like the previous tech said. There are two many unknowns that could affect your vm settings

Call a vendor as nortelnorstar has suggested, you have a problem that goes beyond simple station moves or program changes. Besides that if you do not have the knowledge of how to make a simple physical station move on a small mainframe such as a Norstar you really should not be attempting to.

it is not that expensive a proposition .not more than 1 hr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back