Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can the START button\bar be disabled? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigartl

MIS
Mar 11, 1999
US
Visit site
I have a large number of users who need to use NT workstations to run only one specific GUI based application. We do not want these people to be able to do anything else. I have been able to sut down the desktop to the point where all that they see is the START button and under it, on ly see the HELP function. The GUI has automated help capabilities that require access to the WINHLP32.EXE file.<br>
<br>
Would like to eliminate the START button\bar to truely restrict these users.

I don't know that you can natively.&nbsp;&nbsp;You may need to replace the shell with a custom version of explorer.&nbsp;&nbsp;Check out tip #50 on <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> for lockdown tips.&nbsp;&nbsp;You may or may not have all of them listed.&nbsp;&nbsp;That tip also lists others.&nbsp;&nbsp;Hopefully, you will find something that helps. <p> Jeff<br><a href=mailto: masterracker@hotmail.com> masterracker@hotmail.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most ...

use policies to provide custom menus/folders (i can't remember which).&nbsp;&nbsp;just make the menus/folders empty.

Does not appear to work.&nbsp;&nbsp;Can you provide more detailed description of change.

There is a very good white paper on NT 4.0 Profiles and Policies on the web.&nbsp;&nbsp;Search for NT 4.0 Profiles and Policies.&nbsp;&nbsp;Many that you see will be html.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have a copy that was downloaded as a self-extracting Word document but I don't know where I found it! I can email it to you if you would like (411k).&nbsp;&nbsp;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back