Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can[t delete messages remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

pavNell

Technical User
Sep 27, 2002
US
John and Dianne both have user accounts on a linux box thats running postfix and pop3d. John and Dianne can both email each other on the linux box just fine with the mail command.

However, when John or Dianne use the windows PC in the other room to access their email with ThunderBird client, the messages come in just fine but they never get deleted.
That is, each time they hit the "Get New Messages" button, the same messages are downloaded again. And again...

The Thunderbird clients option to "Leave messages on Server" is UNchecked so they should be deleted, right??

I've RTFM on mailutils but it's gotten a bit over my head. I'm sure it's probably just a config setting somewhere for postfix or pop3d. While I continue to search for my answer, perhaps one of you smart types here would happen to know what I'm missing.

Looking at /var/log/mail/errors, there's an error message for each time they try to delete a message. It says something like, "could not create temporary file when expunging"

expunging???

thanks in advance for any feedback.

It's not a Postfix problem; it's the POP3 system you need to be checking. Unfortunately, I don't use pop3d, but maybe somebody in a pop3d forum could help.

thanks, I'll try there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back