Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can;t delete a file 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 2, 2002
CA
We've had files placed on our server by ftp (anonymous access got turned on). I've turned off the anonymous access, but I need to get rid of the files/folders.

When I try to delete the folder, I get "Can't delete, parameter invalid".

When I go down through the many levels of folders and get to the only file that is left and try to delete it, I get "Can't delete file: can't read from the source file or disk".

When I try to change ownership, it says it can't find the specified file.

Any idea how I get rid of this?

Thanks,

...Dave

Thank You!!!

The info from the first link worked and I have it all cleaned up now.

...Dave

Hewissa I have a question for you.... What happens when you have a winnt 4.0 domain with one nt4.0 pdc then you add a win2k server as a member server and you promote the win2k server to pdc. What happens to the nt 4.0 PDC ? What does is act as? BDC? Pdc?

Also the winnt40 pdc is an exchange and fax server... will this cuase any problems??

In an NT domain, if you promote the BDC to PDC, then the PDC demotes to a BDC. If you promte a 2K member server to DC status you in a sense create a new and seperate domain, other than the NT domain. That said, in your case I would do the following, replicate before doing this, 2K is used for to identify new computer):

1. Promote the BDC to PDC, thus demoting the current PDC to BDC status
2. Promote the new NT PDC to 2K
3. Promote the 2K member server to 2K DC status
4. Promote the NT BDC with Ex. to 2K (or leave it up to you, if you do promo it make sure you have Exchange with SP3 installed)

If your NT servers can't handle 2K then do the following:

1. Promote the 2K member server to BDC (basically install NT on it and make it a BDC, (2K is used for identity))
2. Take the NT BDC offline for backup purposes
3. Promote the (2K) BDC to PDC, thus demoting the current NT PDC to NT BDC status
4. Promote the new (2K) NT PDC to 2K
5. Leave your NT BDC's as is....

I hope that answers your question.

Hewissa

MCSE, CCNA, CIW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back