Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can SQL Server do a Conditional Statement in a SubQuery? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvancleef

Programmer
Apr 8, 2003
US
I am creating a wizard and have a tabs table to dynamically build navigation. I need to return a recordset with an Active/Inactive Value for each record (tab) to render the tab in the appropriate format.

I have 2 queries, one to return the records, and a second to determine Active/Inactive that work seperately, but how do I join the Active/InActive evaluation to the larger query returning the recordset? If I make a seperate SP call for each record that seems inefficient.

Here is my best shot
(plagued by Syntax Errors:
Incorrect syntax near the keyword 'IF'.
Line 19: Incorrect syntax near 'Active'):

SELECT *,
(
IF (SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CheckTab)<=(SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CurrTab)
BEGIN
'Active'
END
ELSE
'InActive'
)AS tStatus
FROM Tabs
WHERE ParentTabID = 1001
ORDER BY Tabs.TabOrder

Please let me know any thoughts.....

Use the CASE expression instead of If

Code:
SELECT 
       CASE
            WHEN conditions1 THEN expression1
            WHEN conditions2 THEN expression2
            ELSE expression3
       END AS &quot;Complicated Idea&quot;,
FROM ...

Look up CASE in the Books OnLine (BOL).

Another issue is this:

BEGIN
'Active'
END

BEGIN is used for the start of a transaction. But nothing is happening between the BEGIN and END. You are using BEGIN with the IF as though the BEGIN is a THEN.

-SQLBill

We are getting closer. I am now getting a result set without Syntax errors when I give the @CurrTab and @CheckTab fixed values. I implemented the Case Statement as follows:

SELECT *,
Case
When (SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CheckTab)<=(SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CurrTab) THEN 'Active'
When (SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CheckTab)>(SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CurrTab) THEN 'InActive'
End
AS tStatus
FROM Tabs
WHERE ParentTabID = 1001
ORDER BY Tabs.TabOrder

But now how do we replace the @CurrTab variable with TabID of each record as the recordset is built?

Like this

Code:
SELECT *,
Case
    When (SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CheckTab)<=(SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=qt.tabid) THEN    'Active'
    When (SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CheckTab)>(SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=qt.tabid) THEN    'InActive'
End
AS tStatus  
FROM Tabs as qt
WHERE ParentTabID = 1001
ORDER BY qt.TabOrder

or did I misunderstand something?

By the way, it is a case expression, not a case statement (which is something else in SQL).

Or maybe:

DECLARE @CurrTab INT
SET @CurrTab = (SELECT Tabs.tabid FROM Tabs)

<rest of query>

Of course, if tabid is not INT then change the first line to whatever datatype it should be.

-SQLBill

Perfect!!!!!

Now how does it work?
1. What is happening with the 'qt'? How is that a part of the solution?
2. What is the difference between a case expression and case statement? I must have done something wrong for you to call my attention to this point.

Thank you VERY much for your help on this!!!

The qt is an arbitray alias so the tabs table can be referenced in the subquery.

if you used

Code:
When (SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=@CheckTab)>(SELECT Tabs.TabOrder FROM Tabs WHERE TabID=tabs.tabid) THEN    'InActive'

it would be interpreted as a reference to the instance of tabs used in the subquery.

SQL (not T-sql in this version) has support for a case statement with the syntax

Code:
case 
  when-clause then
     statements
  when-clause then
     statements
  else
     statements
end case

So, I just like to call things by their proper names.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back