Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can SPM be ported to Linux? Is the source code for the Unix version available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bichela

Technical User
Jun 6, 2017
US
Avaya/Lucent/At&T used to have a IS-II/III port of SPM. While The Dos/Windows version works great in virtualbox for both the DOS 7.14 and the WinSPM9. I would like to create a Linux native application as well as one for mac OSX for both PPC and Intel macs. Who has the source code and/or the information on what information is transmitted via the Administration cable? Would Avaya allow me to port if I sign a NDA? Who do I contact for that?

I ask as there is no Mac/Linux native port of SPM and I would like to port it for those of us who don't run a windows shop.

The People who wrote WIN-SPM (Out of Salt Lake, Sandy UT) won't even talk to you about it.

It's gotta be a WINDOWS machine. (OR an old MS-DOS can do it with the ols NON-WINDOWS version.) I still have a Pocket Size HP Computer that will do it.

I am using it on my iMac Intel Core 2 Duo using VirtualBox with FTDI USB to RS232 dongle. works fine. but we all know that the computer world is a very rapidly changing place. I also have an old Pentium 233 mmx machine with windows 95 and Msdos 6.22 and have both versions on that as well.

Too bad the original coders won't give info, even with a NDA, to port this software to other systems. Funny thing isn't SCO or Caldera also in Utah? Does anyone have the contact information for the company? I would like to talk with them about this.

I sent them a message I do hope they will take me up on my free offer. I am willing to release a port for Linux and Mac OS-X. for both PowerPC and Intel based macs.

So if you really want to play around with it, I've used the DOS SPM running on an HP-200 LX palmtop computer to work on every Legend and Magix from Legend 3 to 7 and Magix 1 to 4.

What does Audix voicemail run on? Isn't that Unix? It has a pass-through mode that pulls up the DOS style SPM via the serial port.

I believe that most of the smarts is in the processor, and you're just sending control codes and data to the processor. I would set up a dumb terminal and connect a computer running SPM to it, see what it sends when you first try to connect. Then connect the terminal to a processor, see how the processor responds when you send those characters to it.

In that regard, I was told by Bell Labs that in STANDARD SPM Mode, all you have is just that, A dumb terminal seeing what the LEGEND/MAGIX puts out.

So, any standard DOS SPM VERSION will work ON ANY LEGEND OR MAGIX.

The thing that's missing from one Generation of SPM to another is the CONVERT facility to convert a saved translation file to some later release.

Just my 2 cents worth.......

Possibly. may be possible to connect a Data packet sniffer to the Rs232 com port and check the RX/TX data lines. I know it is set for 2400 8N1. Not sure if it is using DTR/DSR or RTS/CTS flow control however. Because I am using Virtualbox on both a Mac Intel Core2Duo and a low cost (old POS Pentium MMX linux box) it may be possible to make a sniffer. However I am sure just like everything in the world. I am sure they are not drawing a emulated MLX=20l phone using Vt100 ansi art. but rather the SPM already has the phone picture and just uses the emulated keys to send Chr$ codes back to the processor to process as keystrokes.

That may be fun to play around with, but right now, these are becoming EXTINCT.

Last year I had less than a dozen calls for programming help on them.

But, it would be nice to have a LINUX interface.

And, once you get that done, you could build one for HAIKU as well..... (LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back