Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can SP create folders and set their permissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardMartinIII

Technical User
Sep 17, 2002
US
Can SharePoint create its own folders AND set various permissions on those folders.

Basically, I'd like to have people on staff click a button in SP, be prompted for, say, a customer name, and then a series of folders are created on a SP site, including a bunch of subfolders.

Additionally, can permissions be set for those folders.

For example, I enter a customer name such as "Tek-Tips" and SP creates a folder called "Tek-Tips" which has four subfolders (and many more inside those folders):

Correspondence
Contracts
Deliverables
Followthrough

The tricky bit is that each folder has different access permissions, and not all allow the person creating the set of folders.

However, it's okay if the access permissions are identical in all subfolders. That is, "Deliverables" is set so that only Edward has permission, and all folders contained within "Deliverables" has that same set of permissions.

Likewise, the "Contracts" folder would be created and set only for Joey, and all folders within "Contracts" are also set for Joey.

It is important to realize that Edward is NOT allowed to view Joey's work, nor is Joey allowed to view Edward's work.

It SEEMS to me that one would have to either have some sort of uber-login (seems a bit dangerous), or be able to execute a process that runs at a higher level of permission...

...but I don't know.

Ideas? Suggestions? References?

Thanks!

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Another thought we had was to have Sharepoint make the folders and permissions out on the network, and then import the whole kit and kaboodle.

So, to do it as a two-step process.

Someone was suggesting I explore using Java or Perl to do all of this (including, presumably to put the things into Sharepoint), but can Java or Perl DO that sort of thing?

[monkey] Edward [monkey]

"Cut a hole in the door. Hang a flap. Criminy, why didn't I think of this earlier?!" -- inventor of the cat door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back