Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can someone with a regular DIAL-UP internet connection check this out? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

flasher

Technical User
Mar 4, 2002
US
Hi, My client who has a dial up connection is claiming that his homepage is taking an incredibly long time to load. (like over a minute... sometimes 40 seconds, sometimes 20 seconds etc...) I have dsl so of course it's instant but I asked another friend with dial up to bring up the page and she said it came in very quickly and nothing unusual. I would like to get some more feedback so I can tell whether it's my client or the page... thanks.

Hi mate,

The problem is your clients connection if it is taking over a minute, not the page.

I tried it with cable and dial-up, cable takes about 2 seconds and dial-up took about 24.

If you want a way to show your client that the page is relatively small, direct them to and tell them to run the page through that. It will take the size of the page and then work out how long it would take to load on various connections.

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Thanks. Any constructive critism on the site itself, Wullie? (or positive comments??) It's far from finished but just in general.. thanks!

Also, is 24 seconds on dial up considered reasonable? I guess you would have told me if it wasn't..

Hi mate,

I don't normally use dial-up for anything other than to test the load time of a site.

It took about 24 seconds for me, but I ignored that due to Net Mechanic reporting that it should take approx 12.71 seconds due to the size of the files.

You need to take into account a few things when testing load time.

1) Server speed at time of the request.
2) DNS response speed.
3) Page size.
4) External server connects.
5) Location of the user and server.
6) Size attirbutes being used on images etc.

24 seconds for me would likely be about normal for a connection from the UK to the US (I think thats where the server is)

You would really be better getting feedback from local users. After all, the company's clients are not likely to be in the UK.

As for the actual design of the site, I like it. The theme is completely relevant to the company.

The only thing I would advise you to do is add the currency to the prices, at present I can't tell whether the site is in the UK or the US so the currency is not obvious.

BTW, I have never heard that music for about 10 years, I used to watch that program all the time. [smile]

Hope this helps Wullie

sales@freshlookdesign.co.uk

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Glad you like it! Thanks for the feedback.

A quick question--what should be the maximum filesize of a webpage? I've kept most of my stuff under 10K, but now I'm working on one that is closer to 20K. Is that too much? I know that many sites have over 40K pages, but they take a long time to load, too.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick

An optimum load time for a 56k modem is under 10 seconds.

When you design a site, run it through Net Mechanic to see what time it gives you, it calculates the time based on a few factors.

20k is far from large.

Hope this helps Wullie

- Send your letter to santa!!

Took about 20 sec on 56k for me.

Like the site. Agree with Wullie the theme suits the compaby and I enjoyed the party atmosphere it provides in the background and found the site really easy to navigate.

woolade

Took about 12 secs on 56k to get a usable site, and about 20 secs to load completely. I would imagine that's perfectly acceptable for most people.

One small critisism: you know the way people in offices can put on one of those "I'm in the middle of something really important right now" kind of frowns when really they're organising a party for the weekend? Not warning them that there's background music on the site might give the game away if the boss is standing too close!

Other than that, I can only agree with everyone else about how good it's shaping up. Can't wait to see the finished site! Oh, and I like the font used for the headings too...

Wow! Thanks guys for all the great feedback...In the meantime, I tried out a different design and I think it's so much lighter and brighter and cuter! What do you all think of this one?

Thanks so much!!

Very nice!

One or two small comments [smile]

Why not make the text in the review popup actual text? There's no need for it to be a graphic, and I'm sure you don't want people to have to wait for it load.

And the home page, although nicely presented, is let down a little by the way it ends suddenly. Perhaps rounding off the edges a little might help? It's not so bad on the other pages, but again, I just feel that everything else flows so well that it's a pity the edges are so... flat!

But the navigation is clearly laid out, and the photographs to show the selected area is a very nice touch. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back