Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can someone tell me if UPS does the following?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djpingpong

Programmer
Jul 6, 2004
Hi,

Newbie to the world of UPS....
Never needed it before because
1) couldn't afford it
2) didn't need it for my home use

But now, because of my work, I need to look for a suitable UPS to purchase. So, here's my requirements that I assume certain UPS can do, so any recommendations/suggestions on particular models/applications would be appreciated.

Can UPS do the following:
1. if power goes down, can the UPS boot the computer back on automatically when the power resumes?

2. I know that some UPS have web interfaces, if the power goes out for hours and the UPS runs out of batteries, is there any way that I can still connect to its web interface remotely?

3. When the power resumes from a power out, can any UPS be configured to send out emails/SMS alerts automatically?

I'm asking these questions basically because my boss saids that he doesn't want anyone having to come into the office and turn the systems on manually... he wants everything to automatically resume to normal state once the power resumes from a power-out. Any help or tutorials would be nice

1. Yes, mines do. I use Smart-UPS Rack Mount series from APC.

2. Yes you can, but you need to purchase an add-on interface for it to work. However, you still need some sort of power to run the "web interface". So if the UPS that powers the Web Interface is dead... One thing I never checked, if the UPS decides to send a shutdown command to the server because battery is running low, I'm not sure if the UPS actually shuts down (powers off) or stays on. The reason I'm wondering about this is because the servers are usually the power hungry components. But a Internet modem/router and UPS interface are consume very little power so you can still around another hour of juice (if the UPS stays on). I usually have 1 UPS ONLY for telecom equipment like switches, routers and modems while each server is protected by another UPS.

3. YES.

Most computers will accept a power on signal from the UPS. All mines do but they are real server class equipment, not just a basic P4 computer used as a server. Never tried with a basic P4 clone computer for the auto-restart thought. I know on clone computers, you have a "power on" setting in the BIOS and you can set it to ON/OFF/Last State. However, since the UPS sends a shutdown sequence to your computer, don't know how your computer will react when power is reapplied to the computer.

akwong

Thanks, i'll take a deeper look into the different models of UPS and what is the right fit for the office

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back