Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can someone look at my new server config? SQL standard vs Enterprise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmacbmac

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2006
US
Hello. We are getting a new server with the following specs:

Dell PowerEdge R710
12GB Memory 1333MHZ
(2) Xeon E5503, 2.0GHZ, 4M Chache, 800MHZ, Max Mem Processors

We need to run SQL 2000 and possibly SQL 2005. I am planning on turning this into a virtual server. I would like to get the most robust SQL environment and trying to decide on SQL Enterprise vs Standard. My question revolves around the processors.

If I creat a Virtual server with:
-64 Bit Server 2003
-6 GB Ram
-2 Processors

What should I do with SQL? Should I get enterprise version so it can use more than 2gb of RAM? I noticed that enterprise is only licensed for 1 processor. Am I correct in assuming that SQL 2000 Standard will use both processors, but only 2gb of RAM. But, SQL Enterprise will use only one processor but more than 2gb of RAM? Do I have to decide on Processor power vs memory power?

Any other words of wisdom related to my setup would be greatly appreciated.

These should answer all your questions (just have a look through. The last one is hardware).

Dan

----------------------------------------

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

Sorry my bad....

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind - Dr. Seuss

Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes - EW Dijkstra

If you have 2 physical CPUs than you'll need two CPU licenses if you are using the CPU license model.

If you are using SQL 2000 and you need more than 2 Gigs of RAM for SQL then you will need SQL 2000 Enterprise edition.

If you go with SQL 2005 then you can use standard edition.

Why are you looking at such old versions of SQL Server? SQL 2000 isn't supported any more, and SQL 2005 won't be supported for much longer. We already have 2 versions newer than SQL 2005 and a third will be coming out soon.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

Ok thanks for the great info. Well, I am going with SQL 2000 because we provide data to about 50 cutomers each evening. The process involves backing up a small database and restoring it on the customer's end. About 40 of the 50 customers are on SQL 2000.

I can't go to SQL 2005 even because the backup/restore process won't work.

I was hoping to just do a bcp copy of the data instead, but that involves too much user operation and access. So far the users have messed up the process ... wrong database, etc.

The software they use has a restore feature built in so our automated backup/restore feature works best for the customers. I tried setting the compatibility in 2005 databases to 2000, but it still won't restore correctly.

I really wish it wasn't this way.

OK, sounds like you'll be on SQL Server 2000 for a long time to come. With your hardware config, to make use of the memory installed you have to go with SQL Server Enterprise edition.

Denny
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

I didn't think you needed Enterprise in order to access more than 2GB of mem.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Yep. Back in the day that wasn't to bad for most people. These days however my phone has more than 2 Gigs of memory.

Denny
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Blog

No matter how much memory you have, a wife always has more. She'll remember the time back in 1998 when left the toilet seat up or the time in 2003 when you forgot to take the garbage out.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back