Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can somebody help me to configure Linksys Wireless-G broadband router

Status
Not open for further replies.

techciscouser

Technical User
Jan 17, 2004
US
I have Linksys Wireless-G broadband router >model # WRT54G.
I am trying to configure it for remotely working from home by installing TightVNC Server at work and Viewer at home.

I have Windows 2000 Pro at work and XP Home edition at home.

I did go to 192.168.x.x via IE.
But then I didn't know how to open the port 5900+N on the router... for my computer to connect from home to work.
After opening port on the router ...what else do i need to do to be able to see my work computer.
I tried earlier to connect to work computer after installing the respective Software ..but I think I was router configs.

I am new to tech industry...and I have been getting valueable help from members/users of this site. Can somebody advise me...what to do?????????

You need to create a "Port Forward" from your ISP WAN address, to the local LAN IP used by the VNC target.

It would help if you assigned a static IP to the VNC workstation. The Linksys documentation erronously says that DHCP needs to be disabled; it does not. You want to assign a static IP for that workstation that does not conflict with the DHCP service addresses supplied by the router to other workstations.

Out of the box, your WRT54G router has a fixed IP on the LAN side of 192.168.1.1, and assigns DHCP addresses from 192.168.1.100 -- 192.168.1.149. To give you some room, on the workstation that is the target, assign through Network Connections, Properties, TCP/IP Properties, a static IP address of 192.168.1.10, Subnet 255.255.255.0, and Gateway address of 192.168.1.1.

Under DNS servers, provide 192.168.1.1 as the DNS server address.

Now enter the router Setup program. Use IE, and in the address bar type http:\\192.168.1.1
leave the username empty
type as the password admin

Click the Advanced tab
Port Forwarding
Enter as the port address what you need. For VNC 5900-5910, Both TCP and UDP, and IP assignment 192.168.1.10 (if you followed the above).

Save your settings. Some earlier versions of the firmware of the WRT54G required a soft reset push for 8 seconds to "fix" the change.

You might consider going to the Linsksys site an upgrading your firmware if there are issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back