Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can see share but not accessing

Status
Not open for further replies.

adnangc

Technical User
Jan 31, 2008
PK

I have installed smaba server on RHEL5. I shared the drive on linux server to access from windows server. after making some changing in the conf file. I can see the shared folder from windows system.

But when i access the shared folder it asks me password again. i enter the password of smbuser again but shared folder did not accept the password.

I need help in this regard urgently

if security= user and samba authentificate itself on local linux, you need to add user in linux & samba...for example: useradd fred and then smbpasswd -a fred. Samba then asks two times for password. Type pass and you should be fine. If you logon on windows like fred using password you typed adding fred to samba, then access to samba share is granted without asking you for username/pass. If you logon to windows like admin or some else user, samba asks you for username/pass when accessing share. In this case, type fred and pass. Also try access samba share from, let's say, windows workstation, or stand-alone windows (one that is not in windows domain...btw is that samba authentificate itself on AD?...if so that is problem for sure)

if nothing helps, try setting guest access in smb conf.

also..it would be fine if you post your smb.conf

best regards, hope this helps a little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back