Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can RV042 conect directly to the Internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

f2b

Technical User
Jul 4, 2003
ES
Hi

The RV042 can be configured in Gateway or Router mode. So does that mean it can connect directly to an ADSL line?

Currently it is connected to an AG241 router, but only connects in DHCP mode. If I cahnage to static and my PC also then it never connects. Am I missing something?

Thanks
Andres

No, the RV042 cannot connect directly to the ADSL line provided by your ISP. They will need to give you a "modem" that connects to their ADSL line, then the RV042 will connect to that. If the ISP's "modem" is actually a NAT enabled router, have the ISP set it to 'bridge mode'.

Ok thanks, but why is there a setting, "Gateway" or "Router"?

Thanks
Andres

From the sidebar to the right of that setting:

Linksys RVxx router said:
Working Mode:
Select Gateway mode if your Router is hosting your network's connection to the Internet. Select Router mode if the Router exists on a network with other routers, including a separate network gateway that handles the Internet connection. In Router Mode, any computer connected to the Router will not be able to connect to the Internet unless you have another router function as the Gateway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back