Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can RIP Protocol be used for load sharing between 2 unequal conection

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahmatz

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2002
ID
Dear Tek-tips forum member,

My customer need to use two connections for each remote locations.
For Primary connection, my customer using Frame Relay with 64 kbps connection
For Secondary connection, my custoer using VSAT IP with 32 kbps connection.

My customer doesn't want to use their vsat ip connection only for backup connection, but it will use for load sharing.

My questions are:
1. Can RIP Protocol be used for load sharing for 2 connections above?
2. What kind dynamic protocol that can be used for load sharing mechanism? IGRP, EIGRP, and OSPF?

Thanks,
Rachmat Z

RIP will not load share, it doesnt have the smarts. However, you can use route mapping to force "load balancing". Both EIGRP and OSPF works better for load balancing. EIGRP is a Cisco specific protocol while OSPF is an open protocol and unless you run multiple protocols over the wan such as IPX, I would recommend OSPF. Even with OSPF routing mapping will work well to tune the links.

If the customer has support via Cisco, you can always open a TAC ticket and get their help. This can be an excellent resource.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back