Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can retention of existing tapes be extended

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxc123

MIS
Dec 21, 2004
US
I have backups that are on one week retention schedule and I now want to extend the retention to a longer period. How can I accomplish this?

Robert.

right click on the primary policy under "storage policies" in the commcell browser and go to properties. The second tab is labled "retention" and you can change it there.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people ~ Jack Handy

Not sure as I haven't tested it...I stand to be corrected but, won't altering the retention within the SP only apply to new backups?

Would be very interested to hear if anyone has tested this method of altering retention times of existing images.

I've had to do this a few times so I know it worked for me. Why do you think editing the retention days would only apply to new back ups? The chnages you make are for a specfic policy and all assoctions that are with (i.e. servers)

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people ~ Jack Handy

I've had to do this a few times so I know it worked for me. Why do you think editing the retention days would only apply to new back ups? Just curious. The changes you make are for a specfic storage policy and all associations that are with (i.e. servers)

hope this helps

Hi Houserocker

Thanks for that..just wondered if someone had actually tried this.

I ask because it is a very good feature because from past experience with other backup software I know that the retention for existing images would already be set within the indexes ...maybe it's different because Galaxy uses a SQL db to hold the metadata rather that the traditional flat file catalogs so the 'data aging' can be a bit more intelligent.

Never actualy tested it within Galaxy so thats why I asked because usually altering the retention within a policy wouldn't affect the retention times of existing backups, only new ones.

Cheers

Hi RX123,

which version of galaxy are you using.... for extending backups, it's better to use "extended retention" rules, else, all backups will be retained longer...causes more backup media!!...

Changing retention on Storage Policies, something to be aware of....with the next Pruning or Data Aging, the SQl DB will throw away the pointers to the backups.

Still, backups are still recoverable with the DR tool, if the media has'nt been overwritten yet.

cheers,

Backupster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back