Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can resolve Domain Name but Ping times out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bchemist

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
I have a problem that started a few months ago.

Basically have several domains (i.e. aol.com, etc) that I can not reach. When I go to ping them the DNS resolves the domain name to the ip address, but then the ping times out. I started noticing this problem when I had users sending email to certain domain (as I said aol.com is one of them) and the email would hang in the exchange que, never leaving the que no matter how long I left it there. At first I was unsure of why the email was hanging in the ques, but after a few weeks of searching I finally put it together that every domain that is hanging in the que I am also not able to ping.

My next thought was DNS, but I am able to resolve the domains to valid ip address. They just time out. I did notice that all of the domains that I can not resolve come from the "a.root-servers.net". I have flushed the cache several time thinking that possible I had accumulated bogus DNS records, but the DNS records rebuild fine and I still have the same issue. I can not surf to these sites, but the rest of my internet connection, and email works fine.

Worse yet the list of domains I can no longer email to is not around 15 long (our business emails reports on a daily basis to our clients, so the is BAD!)

Info:
Server: Win2k
Mfg: Dell Poweredge 4600
Exchange 2K
Ram: 2 gb
Proc: Dual Xeon 2.6
Internet connection: LOGIX T1

I know it isn't possible to troubleshoot everything via forum, but if somebody could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back