Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can RD using IP, but not PC Name. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpeters

MIS
Feb 7, 2005
US
Hey Folks,

I currently have Remote Desktop installed on all the PC's on my LAN. All PC's are running XP Pro. I can connect to each of them using the IP Address (DHCP) but I can't connect using the PC Name, which I would ultimately like to do.

All the PC's have NetBIOS installed, which I initially thought was the issue.

Can anyone give some sort of guidance? Thanks!

Regards,
Brian

Are you using proxy? If yes what version?
If not Check Q328562. Hope it helps.[peace]

Actually, I'm not. I have the Microsoft Firewall enabled on the machines, however, I've tried with and without it enabled, both times I've been unsuccessfull. Also, in case it matters, I have SP2 running on the machines as well.

You need to run a DNS or WINS server for name resolution. To do this, one of your machines needs to run a server class OS (Windows 2000 server, advanced server, 2003 server).

Alternately, give each PC a static IP, and edit the local hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) on each machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back