Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can raid disks be placed into another server

Status
Not open for further replies.

overdraft015

Programmer
Nov 25, 2007
GB
I am looking into a server redundancy solution and say i have 1 server with raided disk in. now suppose i have a hardware failure (non disk) can i take out those raided disks and place them in a new (pretty much identical) server and continue as if nothing has changed. maybe the OS will have to install one or two things but will the data/raid be the same in the new server?

thank you in advanced

It's not what you know. It's who's on Tek-Tip's

Yes, but the question is how close in hardware. If not identical, a repair install along with an F6 to add a raid driver might be needed. The raid controller would need to be identical, or possibly it will work with a controller by the same manufacturer, in the same raid family or a next generation, this would be an iffy part of the equation. Would be best planning on moving the array and controller over to the new hardware.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Yes, but the question is how close in hardware." Definoitely check with your server vendor. In many cases this is possible, however the vendor would be able to give you the best process to avoid problems.

Xmsre

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back