Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can public OLI be set to 11 digits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QueBall780

Technical User
Jul 3, 2009
CA
I would love to set my public OLI length to 11 digits but it seems like element manager is restricted to 10 digits.

I set dialing plan -> public received length to 11. I change from dialing plan: national to Public(unknown)

But still only 10 digits are accepted.
Problem is SIP provider displays the digits as sent so iphones think calls from our number are in russia because area code starts with +780nxxxxxx

+7 is Russia country code

So I want to add the 1780nxxxxxx as my public OLI on all the sets but it cannot take the extra digit.

I could override the PAI header on the SIP account but then I cannot change the public OLI on specific sets that want to display their DID number on outbound calls.
I could setup a an SBC server to act as a proxy with rules to manipulate the headers but it's a lot of programming and server setup along with another point of failure to consider.

Ok answer my own question

10 is the absolute max for public OLI field.

BUT you can add additional fixed digits to every outbound call with the public network code.

So I put 1 in the public network code which is appended to the public OLI field on all outbound calls and that works fine.

"Public network code" + "Public OLI" is sent on outbound calls.

Nice....note on another note, are you running Dlink Router at all for your SIP?

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

No. I rarely use a dlink router anywhere except if a customer bought one first.

Watchguard for business grade
Asus for consumer grade

Thanks, I am having serious issues where only 2 out of 4 SIP carriers are working on my BCM because the modem was swapped out by the Cable company.
I might start a thread about it soon.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Cable company can put a service order code into their system that puts those integrated combo routers they use these days into bridge mode to get around it. You need your own router/wifi but when VOIP is involved you likely need that level of control on your router. Often they hide the ability to disable advanced features of their NAT and even if their router mode allows you to put a device on IP bypass or DMZ mode it might still apply the ALG and NAT connection limits to your traffic.

Also the Intel puma6 chipset design flaws tend to give you a pretty bad experience if the modem has it on VOIP. Huge threads on dslreports about puma cable modem problems. Basically a flaw that can introduce large jitter, latency or even packetloss on these modems using the chip.

The modems installed by the DSL or cable providers are definitely problematic. I've figured out how to login to several of them so I can either tweak the settings to put my router in the modem's DMZ, or put the modem in bridge mode if I know the PPPoE login to program into my router. It's a battle to get the providers to make any changes in their modems as the "techs" they send out have minimal training.

I'll never forget the look on the Windstream guy's face who was sent out to install my bonded DSL. I had bought my own modem, but after fiddling with it for a couple of minutes he said it was bad because it wouldn't pull an IP address. I told him that was because he hadn't programmed the username and password, for one thing. He adamantly told me their modems worked right out of the box and that customer provided modems never worked. I replied that was because someone already pre-programmed their modems. After arguing for a few minutes I gave up and told him to install their modem and I would figure it out later. After their modem synched up I asked him to put it in bridge mode as I had my own Linksys router. That's when I got the deer in the headlights look. He had to call the office and have someone walk him through how to bridge the modem. After he left I logged into their modem, copied down all the settings, programmed them into my modem, and then put it in bridge mode. I loved it when he had to come back the next day and pick up the Windstream modem because I got my modem working.

In my current setup I put my Netgear Orbi router in the DMZ of the DSL provider's modem. It works perfectly with my SIP trunks and remote IP telephones.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Funny story.
I take it the DSL Router is NOT in Bridge mode? this way using the DMZ allows for use of two Routers in line?

On Cable modems it's usually the Residential Gateway and UpNP boxes to put them in Bridge Mode....mine is in Bridge Mode.
My Router is DIR-878

My troubles are trying to get all 4 carrier accounts to register like they were on the old Modem which took me weeks to get that working lol, every setting I try it changes up where 1 works 3 do not or it's reveres where the other 2 now work and the originals do not.
Sipgate
Broadworks
Call Centric <----- this one is near invincible with my 5 days of testing.
Voip.MS

My business is on the Broadworks and I now have that working as well Call Centric only.
Seem they are sensitive to which Stun server and if you turn SIP on or off in Router/ALG

When my Broadsoft was not working it did however work on a Polycom set.
So I am blaming both the BCM and the Router and trying to get the right combination to fix the void from the old Modem.

Just too many settings on the BCM (to satisfy all regions).

Just found this one which has a good explanation of sorts.

Looks like I need to play some more....maybe with Virtual Server as noted in above link.

Add me to LinkedIN

small-logo-sig.png

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, CAN

Yes, the way I have it setup now is my router is in the DMZ of the DSL modem/router. Essentially 2 routers exposed to the same Internet connection. This way I don't have to try to make VOIP work through a double NAT scenario. My BCM50 seems to like this arrangement. I have SIP trunks from both Sipgate and Flowroute that work nicely. I have SIP ALG disabled in my Netgear, but really didn't have to do anything aside from programming the SIP accounts in my BCM50 to make them work.

I tried using a SonicWall a few months ago, but I could never get my SIP trunks to register no matter what I did. Ended up reselling it on eBay. [smile]

Thanks for that link. Interesting read on the problems presented by different routers, especially the SIP ALG problem. Most articles I've read on VOIP say to disable SIP ALG. Makes me wonder why they have that option?

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

I assume you have a dynamic IP since you are trying to register all your SIP accounts. I wonder if getting a static IP would work since you wouldn't have issues with registration and STUN server settings? I checked into a static IP with Windstream, but the cost is ridiculous for my needs.

Brian Cox
Georgia Telephone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back