Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can PSP8 do Photoshop's "layer sets"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OsakaWebbie

Programmer
Feb 11, 2003
JP
I am a PSP7 user, but I'm using more and more Adobe products for video production. The new Encore DVD authoring application uses .psd files with what they call "layer sets" to build menus for DVDs. PSP7 does not do this (layers: yes, layer sets: no). I noticed something called "layer groups" mentioned on the new features list for PSP8, but there was no more explanation of what that meant. Is that something that would look to the outside world as the same thing as Adobe layer sets if you saved the file as .psd?

Layer groups, also available in PSP 7, allow you to create a "set" of layers that can be manipulated as a group, like moving the group within a stack of layers or copying an entire group to paste into another image.

mike

Thanks for answering, Mike. Although your description sounds similar to what I understand Photoshop layer sets to be (I've never used Photoshop, so I'm going on other people's descriptions), in the meantime I have learned more. When no one answered here I asked the same question on an Adobe Encore forum, where I had originally learned about the concept - over there the word is that PSP8 still can't create what Encore is looking for (a .PSD file with the same codes as Photoshop layer sets would have). And you stating that layer groups were already in PSP7 confirms that, because I know PSP7 can't do what I want. I had gotten the impression that layer groups was new because it was listed as a new feature of version 8 on a web site I was looking at, but perhaps it's just improved in some way.

Anyway, the answer to my question is "no" :-(, but the Encore folks say that I can do the same things directly in Encore, just more time-consuming. I can't afford Photoshop, and frankly, I like PSP! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back