Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Procomm Plus be used to dial in to a PBX without a POTS line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3000gt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 26, 2002
US

I need to remote login to a PBX that is connected t the PSTN (public network) with a dial up modem. I have Procomm Plus on a PC with Internet connectivity, as well as Skype phone service over internet (digital). I do not have a POTS analog line to use though.

I would like to find out if there is a way to use something, an application, software that does the modulation/demodulation (modem), or is there a PC modem that converts digital to analog so the call goes out analog?

Anyone know of anyway to call this analog modem connected PBX from a PC with only internet access?

Any help is appreciated.

Expertise in Avaya, Rolm/Siemens, Mitel, Nortel, NEC, Alcatel, Toshiba, Aspect, Ericsson, Executone, Panasonic PBXs & KSUs

With that setup, you are going to need a phone line.

Your other option is connect the PBX to an onsite PC serial port. Then do a remote control of that on site PC (with procomm plus installed on the on site PC).

PBX connected to a local machine via any one of several comm programs.
(procomm, hyperterm, or tinyterm are 3 I have used)

Local machine equipped for remote access.

Remote machine with IP based communications for remote control of the local machine.
(Hamachi or PCAnywhere are 2 that come to mind)

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back