Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Postfix Auto Create Mail Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeland

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2002
MY
I've begun experimenting with Fedora Directory Server as a centralized user information & authentication server in a "Linux Domain". I've managed to get F8 clients to logon via fds and also to automatically create the users home folder if doesn't exist.

On the mail server, Postfix is configured to user maildir style storage. The problem now is that although Postfix can create the maildir folder, it can't create the actual user home folder.

Question:
1. Does anyone have any bright idea on auto home folder creation with regards to Postfix.
2. Does Postfix configuration file (main.cf) support the use of variables/macros such as %u or %g so that I have more control on defining Postfix's home_mailbox directive?

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

I've found a solution by using dovecot's PAM authentication to start a user session which in turn invokes PAM's mkhomedir module as I've done for the F8 desktops.

/etc/dovecot.conf
Code:
passdb pam {
  args = session=yes dovecot
}

This however introduces a 1~2 second delay every time dovecot logs in then out again when authenticating the user. Although an additional 2 seconds for a POP3 session is negligible, IMAP users don't like it when things keep stalling on them from time to time.

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back