Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can ping but I cannot map drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2003
US
I can connect to the server through the VPN using PPTP. Once connected I get the correct ip settings. I can ping the server ip that I am connecting to, but when I try to access the server (using it's ip address) through the run command or map network drive, it says the network path cannot be found. In the properties of the vpn server I have selected the server to act as a VPN server and for LAN routing. On the client side I have tried it with both the use default gateway on remote network both checked and unchecked.

Any ideas on what I need to in order get to my shared drives?

Hi Matthew,

Ive got a very similar problem which I'm investigating at the moment. The users can authenticate but cant access the domain although they can ping servers by name and IP! We have around 50 remote users and only two or three of them are affected.

The only question mark is does it matter if the VPN client was installed while connected to the LAN. Does this have anym bearing on the problem?

Just out of interest, have you tried using net use \\sharename /username etc?(
Good luck and let me know how you get on!

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Here is what I was doing wrong. Go to the properties of the NIC that you are using for your VPN and make sure that file and print sharing is checked. Mine was not and once I did that everything worked fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back