Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can ping but can't browse internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

R17

Programmer
Jan 20, 2003
PH

i can ping but i cannot browse the internet. what's wrong?

Assuming you mean you can pong a known IP address on the Internet, but not browse the page, the problem is name resolution. Your system needs to be assigned an address for a name server (DNS) for your ISP.

To go into specifics, we'd need to know more about your setup.

Gersen

There are only 10 kinds of people; those who understand binary and those who don't...

I am also having this issue too. I can view web sites through their IP addresses but I cannot view them through their respective domain names.

This has also affected my e-mail as well. When I do a send/receive, I get an error message that says that the system cannot locate my mail server: mail.companyname.

I am on a LAN and everybody else's computer on the network is working fine.

Would appreciate any help too...

Chinyere [afro2]

go into the network settings and add a correct primary dns server..... keep pressing properties til u find DNS
this will convert hostnames( into ip addresses. (216.52.x.x)
copy the dns settings from a working computer.

There's a recent virus which plays merry hell with DNS.

see thread608-669691, and check out the AntiVirus Manufacturer websites for more information.

<marc> i wonder what will happen if i press this...[pc][ul][li]please give feedback on what works / what doesn't[/li][li]need some help? how to get a better answer: faq581-3339[/li][/ul]

FYI, I had the same issue - I could get to a web site by typing the IP address, but not its URL. Ended up that I left an old hardcoded DNS address setting in Network Places. I got rid of the DNS setting and told the computer to obtain the DNS server address automatically - after that it was all set! :)

Hi, I am using a Linksys wireless adapter. I can ping websites from the cmd prompt, but CANNOT browse -- get time outs. My DHCP and DNS settings are set to obtain automatically. Help! What can I be missing?

The interesting thing is, I can log on to MSN messenger, and read email, but it is just browsing from Internet Explorer that does not seem to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back