Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can people hack WEBKEYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPLWU

IS-IT--Management
Jun 4, 2003
US
I am setting up a wireless network in my house with only a webkey as the security. I know that it should be enough for a simple network scan to see if I have any kind of encryption setup, but what about the more advanced hackers? What kinds of tools are out there to crack webkeys? Is there some kind of brute force crack? I set it up with both letters numbers, and also symbols. Since I went out and bought a 802.11G connection, my range extends pretty far, I am picking up my neighbors 802.11b connection, and I don't want them to be able to get on mine, but I am also afraid if I set up too much security that I will have to configure each computer myself, and not be able to let my roommates handle their own.

If you think you can, you might...if you know you can then you will.

A+

Sure if you are only using WEP then yes it can be hacked with tools that are out there , WPA is somewhat more secure . You really need to know what you are doinf though to do this if you implement SSID , WEP or WPA and mac address filtering .Unless you have some dweeb with a lot of time on his hand I doubt I would worry about it too much . In case you are wondering about your question go to

There was a new piece published about this. Some of the newer tools can crack WEP in minutes rather then hours like it used to be. Of course, this also depends on the amount of traffic available to the sniffer.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back