Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can PCAnywhere be used in a rollover phone system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

statechamp

IS-IT--Management
Nov 19, 2002
US
Here is my dilema:

I have a small business with 3 phone lines in a rollover fashion and 1 line that is shared for my DSL as well as my fax line. (The fax line is the line I will use for remote access) I have modem in my 2000 Server that I want to be able to access remotely from my home PC (modem). How do I go about doing this. I have set up the traditional modem to modem connection through PCAnywhere 10.5 and it still does not work. Does the fax line have to be plugged directly into the server for me to be able to access it remotely?

PLEASE HELP!

Your first problem.

If you are using the FAX line for remote access, your FAX will grab the line before your computer does and assume that the incoming call is a FAX. You should install distinctive ring and get a second number for the remote access. Or use one of your other two lines.

The solution.

Line 1 (Leave as is)
Line 2 (From where Bell Terminates the line, plug in phone cable to modem, then from modem to your KSU (if you have a phone system) Set your modem to answer on 6 rings.)
Line 3 (DLS to FAX to KSU)

Now all you have to do is dial your second lines number. You will normally answer the phone during business hours so that will not be an issue, the modem will not answer till the 6th ring. At night, you can call into the second line directly and after six rings, PCAnywhere will answer.

Keep in mind, the most important thing is to make sure that the modem is installed before the lines terminate at the KSU not after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back