Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can OpenServer 5.be updated to Linux with 8.3 Legacy App? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2002
US
"Legacy App" means
[ul][li]no source code,[/li][li]original supplier out-of-business and gone,[/li][li]no installation CD or tape for the application,[/li][/ul]
It is on a decent HP server that has SCO OpenServer 5.0.5 that does not have TCP/IP installed.

The original supplier supplied the server with everything installed. They supplied the SCO licenses and all the CD's EXCEPT the main one. They did not supply the Progress run-time installation media.

I need TCP/IP. So I could probably buy a SCO 5.0.6 media kit, upgrade the server, and get it to work.

BUT LINUX sure would be nicer.

I have Red Hat 8 (Progress 8.3 is certified for Red Hat 7.2, if I recall correctly). I have Caldera OpenLinux (I thought this might "transition" from SCO OpenServer Unix).

Is there any hope?

THANK YOU

You would need to upgrade from SCO Openserver Host to SCO Openserver Enterprise to get the tcp/ip networking. (reguardless of version 5.0.5 or 5.0.6) this is on the same media just different serial number and data key.

As far as progress goes the binaries are different between sco and linux. you might be able to get 8.x for linux but i doubt it (current version is 9.1). This is something that i will be doing in the near future with our application, so until then i can't tell you how transportable the ".r" code or database is. faq219-2884

Linux-abi has been the touted method of running SCO binaries under Linux. But, last I heard, there was some type of snaffu with Linux-abi regarding Licensing of SCO Binaries. Since SCO has decided to re-enter the market, it appears they are wanting to issue special License agreements for use of the Libraries at a significantly reduced fee. If I remember correctly, this has caused the 'Linux-abi' group and users (certainly Red Hat) to temporarily table it's implementation. Once SCO clarifies it's direction, this will probably all work itself out.

As for running the binaries, they work fine under Linux if you can implement into the kernel the ability to run a.out and coff executables. Some of the earlier versions of Linux worked well using a package called iBCS (intel binary compatability supplement). But, support for that package was dropped in lieu of Linux-abi. Check out for a more informed explanation of Linux-abi and how to implement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back