Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can only access secure sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

robmazco

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2008
US
Im totally illiterate with MACs so not sure what we can do. Someone borught their MAC laptop in, they cant get to any website.
I gave it a look, seems they can only access secure sites - HTTPS only. Cannot get to any site with HTTP.
This happens with Safari AND Firefox.
I can ping any site (HTTPS and HTTP)and get a return, just cant browse to any unsecure site.

Ideas?

...on the mac system preferences, under "internet & wireless" you have the "network" configurations, if you select it you can then click "advanced..." in there are more settings, one of which is "proxies", are any of those turned on?

...depending on the OS (apple keep changing the appearance of the "network" controls") the above "network" settings may behave differently, but basically hunt around for "proxies"...

...if there are any on, then try turning them off...

andrew

Hmm seems thats the idea.
But alas, when the user goes to his proxy setting, clcikign on the Proxy button does nothing, almost like hes locked from making changes.
Since I dont know MACs very well, is this possible?.

...yes, there is a lock icon bottom left of the preferences area you are in...

...you have to have an admin user and password to make changes if logged into an account that doesn't have "admin" rights to change things...

andrew

...clicking the lock allows changes to be made, but you need an admin user and password essentially, the user can try their own name and password, they will soon find out if their login account has "admin" rights or not...

andrew

cool, thanks for info. will let you know what shakes out.

OK, you guess how it ends...

My second question to the user was - What did you install lately? The answer was of course nothing.
So he comes back yesterday and realized he did install some kind of 'monitoring' software. He doesnt even know what it is(this of course scares me, but hey what do I know). Anyways, this was only allowing for the secure sites. He changed the setting and can now get everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back