Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not stop services with 2003 DC!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick8078

MIS
Feb 1, 2006
US
A problem has recently come up with our primary DC, an associate of mine installed the remote agent on the server for backup exec 11d. A few days later I noticed that the server was being unresponsive. I can not stop any services, including the remote agent, and I cannot uninstall it either. I also can not get to network connections, as it just locks up. Rebooting the server also does not work, and I have to force it to power off, and when it loads up, it takes around 40 mins to apply the settings for windows, and another 40 mins to login. The funny thing is, it's purring when it comes to being a DC and users accessing files, it just seems like something is locking up the front end services. Any ideas? Can you reboot a DC into safe mode?

From your symptoms it sounds more like you have a problem with your network interface on the DC (slow logons, hangs when opening network connections). It is possible that the remote agent has "corrupted" your network stack or it is monopolizing it.
Try starting the server in Recovery Console and proceed to disable the Backup Exec services. Hope this helps.

Is there a UPS installed on the server? I seem to remember an issue very similar to this one quite a while ago, and it had something to do with a Power Chute application... May be worth searching on.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back