Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not send out mail:

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguy

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2000
US
I'm having a problem with sendmail.
I can send messages out over the internet, but, when they get to the sender, they have the address of jguy@localhost.localdomain (the real address should be jguy@amh-web1.amhcu.org). Anyway, don't know what's causing this.

Sendmail is right "out of the box" on a Red Hat 7.2 Linux server. I haven't done a whole lot of config. I should also stress that I'm a novice at sendmail and would like any help possible with this problem. Thank you so much!!!

J.
Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

I'm having this same problem. Was the answer found?

There's a line in the /etc/sendmail.cf file that you can modify if sendmail can't automatically determine your hostname and domainname. It's towards the beginning of the file, and by default it says this:

#Dj$w.Foo.COM

Uncomment it, leave the "Dj", and replace the remainder with your hostname and domainname. Example:

Djmyhost.mydomain.com

Restart sendmail (/etc/init.d/sendmail restart) and you should be all set.

Great! That worked!! How did you figure that one out?? Thanks!!!!

Joe Joe W. Guy
Network Admin
MIS Director

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back