Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not send mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelDay

IS-IT--Management
May 1, 2003
US
Something I configured not right. I am able to receive email from yahoo, hotmail...I am able to send and receive to any account WITHIN the same domain. But I am NOT able to send email out to internet email like yahoo, hotmail...

When I check the Queues, all messages I tried to send out, just sitting in SMTP connector there. Status is Queued. The messages not sending out.

What am I doing wrong? Please help

usually dns problem. on exchange go to cmd and nslookup. error?

Um, from my exchange server machine, I do nslookup, it returns this error:

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>nslookup
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 206.13.28.12: Timed out
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Can't find server name for address 206.13.29.12: Timed out
*** Default servers are not available
Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 206.13.28.12

>

So what is wrong there? please help more

ok, so you've got the ip right - its a dns on sbcglobal.net

check the network props of the exchange box and see that you ip address is right, netmask etc. then check dns and secondary dns. is the firewall blocking dns calls?

at nslookup what happens if you type in 206.13.28.12 and hit enter?

On my Network Card, TCP/IP properties, I put Primary DNS and Secondary DNS: 206.13.29.12 this IP is provided by my SBC.

However I have a static IP which is: 67.64.xx.0x, if I put Primary DNS the same with my Static IP, after that I do nslookup it works well. It does not return any error. It lists out the Default server: xxx.xxx.sbcglobal.net
IP: 67.64.xx.0x

So correct me if I am wrong. However, I can not still send out message, messages keep stuck at queues

ok, don't give specific details, but can you get a tracert to any of the mail servers of messages stuck in the queue?

try tracert mx1.hotmail.com

don't think its an exchange problem cos I'm assuming that you've checked the services are all running and that event viewer has been checked for errors...

Okay, I did tried tracert to the mail server that was stuck in queues. and It WENT THROUGH to the last Hop with no problem.

When I look into Event Viewer, there is no error relating to this issue at all.

Double check that Exchange does NOT have DNS configured. Even if it has entries that are correct, remove them.

Default SMTP virtual server properties - Delivery Tab - Advanced Button - Configure External DNS servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back