Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not save or open another account's attachment in Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbby2003

Technical User
Nov 5, 2003
US
In Exchange 2003 server ( Windows SBS 2003 ) environment, a client desktop computer is joined to the domain [ the domain controller is the Exchange 2003 server ( Windows SBS 2003 ) ], and Outlook 2003 is set up as Exchange client. Both the server and the desktop computer are located in the same LAN.

I gave user A the complete permission over user B's account and set up on user A's Outlook so that user A has 2 mailboxes in Outlook. This has been working fine for user A to have full control of user B's mailbox. And recently a problem occurred although I did not change any permission or security settings on the server, and I am lost in trying to resolve the problem.

The problem is: in Outlook user A can not open or save user B's attachments any more. User A can open and save her own email attachments. And when I use Outlook Web Access to access user B's mailbox on user A's desktop computer, I can open and save those email attachments. But in Outlook it is NOT working.

When I try to open or save user B's email attachments from user A's Outlook, it is giving me this error message:
Can't create file:FAX.TIF. Right-click the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.

How can I make user A to open and save user B's email attachments from user A's Outlook?

Have you tried giving User A a new Outlook profile? Does this problem follow user A from machine to machine?

Mike Fegan, MCSE

Read about the best FREE IT tools available, and check out the 'Babe of the Week' at

TweakMYbox, I did not try that.

User A's mailbox is pretty big. Some users at this client's office have mailboxes more than 2 GB. I think user A's mailbox is between 1GB and 1.5 GB. It took a long time to set up a new profile to synchronize with Exchange server.

I think that this is an Outlook folder issue. I remember that at another client's office, one user could not save or open attachments from her own Outlook. Under some certain folder I need to delete some temp files in order to solve that problem. But that solution does not solve the current problem.

For user A, it has been working OK for about 4 months for her to open or save user B's email attachments from user A's Outlook. The problem happened less than a week ago. Now she is not able to open or save user B's email attachments from user A's Outlook.

Are there some other ways that I should try?

Hey mate I dont know if you have resolved this issue yet but I had the same problem and found a way around it. It is a pretty simple registry fix so follow these steps and see how you go.
If you are using Outlook 2003, follow these steps:

1.Click My Computer, and then double-click drive C.
2.On the File menu, click New, and then click Folder.
3.Name the folder temp0.
4.Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
5.Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\
6.In the right pane, double-click OutlookSecureTempFolder.
7.In Value Data field, type C:\temp0\ and then click OK.
8.Exit Registry Editor.
9.Restart Outlook or if not the computer.

elkieno@hotmail.com

Thank you, kieno.
I will try your steps and let you know.

Earlier today I tried to create a new profile, but that did not solve the problem.

Thanks again.

Kieno, that did the magic. Now everything is working fine.
Thanks a lot.

Under the following registry item, I used OutlookSecureTempFolder's value to locate the folder on the computer and the folder does not existing. I think that caused the problem.
5.Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Outlook\Security\

Then I followed your steps and restarted the computer, and now it is working. Problem solved.

Thanks again, Kieno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back