Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not remote access through linksys router-Help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhilla

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2003
MX
Hi gang. I have a linksys BEFSR81 router linking a peer network of 8 machines. 1 XP pro machine contains all of our data and I would like to be able to access it from home.

I have enabled WAN access and forwarded port 3389 (hopefully correctly) on the router. I have enabled the XP machine at the office for remote access. When I start RDC on the home xp I type in the WAN Ip for the router:3389 in the computer name box, the user name (seemingly arbitrary because my linksys does not need it to log on) and the password for the router. I leave the domain blank.

Everytime, I get the "log into windows" screen and it attempts to connect. Then I get the "System could not log you on, make sure user name and domain name are correct . . .etc." I don't know what else to type into the box because our machines to not require password access or log on. Everyone can access everyone elses stuff freely on our LAN. Are there settings I am missing on my office XP I am trying to access? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Muhilla

First, your user account on the office XP PRO machine needs to have a password or this won't work. You can add a password (and find your account name) in Control Panel, User Accounts.

Also, I don't think that it will matter, but you don't need the ":3389" in the computer name box.

If you're briefly seeing the 'log onto windows' screen, you're getting through the router to the XP machine correclty - You just need the correct username and password.

Thanks Smah! I posted this in the linksys forum as well and realized also that I was trying to use the routers password instead of the XP's. Thanks for the post. I logged on as the admin with the "admin" password, but did not know it would not work without passwords. Now I have marked all of my users and given them passwords so they can have the access they nee. I appreciate your response!
Muhilla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back