Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not ping

Status
Not open for further replies.

tredders

Technical User
Mar 6, 2007
GB
hi
iam using a boson sim
i am connecting 2 routers point to point, banwitdth set, i can ping, telnet fine between them
(195.10.10.2)(195.10.10.3)s0/s1
e0 (207.10.10.3) (210.10.10.3)
Router rip set networks 195.10.10.0, 210.10.10.0, 207.10.10.0

I have PCs off each router with default gateway
(207.10.10.2) dg (207.10.10.5)
(210.10.10..2) DG (210.10.10.5)

I cannot ping one pc to another successfully or from the router, all e0 so/s0/ interfaces are up as well as protocols.

Please somone tell me what i am doing wrong
thx

The default gateways should be the closest interface of the closest router on each PC. Where does the default-gateway of 207.10.10.5 and 210.10.10.5 come from? You don't have them listed as any of your router interfaces.

thanks chipk
There is no DG on the routers only on the PCs
I should be able to a least ping the E0 interface as it on the same subnet 207.10.10.0

PC (207.10.10.2) DG (207.20.20.5)> router/e0(207.10.10.3)

iam using a boson sim

That is probably why...is it a registered or cracked version? I hear about unregistered bugs all the time...especially this one...
If all is legit, then try tools--search for updates.

Burt

Its registered
updates completed
I am right in saying that I should be able to at least be able to ping the e0

You sure it's the same network? Do your subnet masks match?

If you have 2 devices that are on the same subnet 207.10.10.X then yes you should be able to ping that address but you will be able to ping anything else as your default gateways on your nic cards is incorrect thus it cannot be routed . You may not even be able to ping from the router down to the nics , it depends on where the router is sourcing the ping from . anything pc on the 207.10.10.X network should have a default gateway of 207.10.10.3 . Anything on the 210.10.10.X subnet should have the default gateway of 210.10.10.3 . Thje other question is have you verified RIP is working correctly ?

corrected statement:

If you have 2 devices that are on the same subnet 207.10.10.X then yes you should be able to ping that address but you will "NOT" be able to ping anything else as your default gateways on your nic cards is incorrect thus it cannot be routed . You may not even be able to ping from the router down to the nics , it depends on where the router is

thanks vipergg
I have changed it and no difference
It must be the boson simulator

It doesnt matter what the DG is as long as its on the same network and is not a braodcast or subnet

I can pin from the Router back to the PC /DG/and IP

Can you ping from one ethernet interface in the router to the other ethernet interface, like ping through the routers, instead of serial to serial? If you can, and the DG of each pc is the same address as what is on the ethernet interface of the nearest router, then you should be able to ping from pc to pc in the real world. If you cannot ping through the routers, ethernet to ethernet, then you have a routing problem, not a Boson problem.

Burt

does router 1 have routes for router2s lan from rip?
and vice versa?

make sure you have the routing between the two routers..

can you ping from e0 on router1 to e0 on router 2?
youll need to do an extended ping and source from e0s ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back