Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

can not ping SCO 5.0.5 server through router

Status
Not open for further replies.

REdward

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
US
We have 13 SCO Unix 5.0.5 servers in 13 seperate locations connected by frame relay to a central facility. Each server is connected to hub which is connected to a local lan and a router which is connected to the frame. From my location (one of the 13), I can ping a PC on any of the other 12 lans, however, I can not ping the SCO servers. I have tried setting up a gateway in SCOadmin but to no avail. I have even tried editing the /etc/conf/defaults file to add the line: GATEWAY=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX. This is the first time I have tried this and I know I am missing something but what?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as the manuals that come with SCO Unix do not address this subject.

No gateways are not what you are looking for based on your description.
/etc/conf/default????

What is the message that ping is returning?
If none then use ping -c 5 -n I.P.NUM.BER

Are you trying to ping the sco machines by IP or name?
If the message returned by ping is "no route to host"
then on each of the sco machines ->

route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
where x's are the ip of the local router.
you can add this in a script in /etc/rc2.d
like S99routes.

Thanks. I will try that.
Answer: Trying to ping by IP address. The message returned is that the host is unreachable. I typed the wrong path to the file that I was editing, it was supposed to be /etc/default/tcp. I'll let you know if (route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) does the trick.

hi ,
Just add a route on the unix server to your computer or network . ie if your computer ip address is 10.0.9.20 and the router which connects your network to the remote server is 192.168.0.1 u can use this command
# route add 10.0.9.20 192.168.0.1

or else u can use the -net command to give the route to the full network

Regards
anup

Thanks. I will post the results when I get a chance to try this.

Both methods (route add default xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and route add ser.ver.ipa.ddr rou.ter.ipa.ddr) work well.
Thanks guys!

Here's all you do:
vi etc/rc.d/8/userdef
drop down to last entry
add the line:
route add default 192.168.0.1
(192.168.0.1 represents whatever the gateway is)
esc to beep
save file.
chmod 777 userdef.
reboot and you should be able to ping.

Yes, I am familiar with /etc/rc.d/8/userdef. That would be a good file to place to place the script.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back