Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not open one web site, but other users can

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTK1008

MIS
Oct 25, 2006
US
I have been working on this issue for a few days, and one part of me is saying just reimage the laptop, but I want to solve the problem. There is a website that a lot of our users need to access for training, everyone can access it, but the person who needs it the most to administer the site. This is an external site and we do not have control over it. The strange part is that if she takes the laptop home she can get to the website with no problem, if we take the laptop off the network and use a At&t wireles card we can access the website fine also. The problem appears to be with the laptop, but only when on our network. Tried differnt local profiles, this computer is not part of the domain. It is a win xp sp2 laptop tried with ie6, ie7 and firefox same results with all three browsers. Changed the computer name, changed the ip address, connected to our network with the on board nic and on board wireless card to our network and can not access the site. Just sits there and eventually comes back with page can not be displayed. We do not use proxy. I am thinking it is a DNS issue on our side, but if it works for everyone else using the same DNS servers does not make sense either.

Only a few other things comes to mind:

Some odd proxy server setting. However, unless it's a transparent proxy server on your internal network, this is unlikely since you've tested with different browsers.

A cookie / authentication issue. Potentially a stored cookie is causing some conflict [at the website] when associated with your company's public IP address. Clear any coockies associated with the site, but since you've tested multiple browsers, agian, this seems unlikely.

Some other odd condition with that system that has a different route to the internet when inside your network than you might think. An automatically established VPN or somespyware that passes all internet connections somewhere else. This seems the most likely & could probably verified by using a 'what's my IP address' type of service on the internet to compare this laptop's result (when on your network) to any of the 'working' systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back