Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not open control file

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgo

Programmer
Jun 21, 1999
US
A large app has run fine, until yesterday afternoon, there were 7 hits on the same report at the same time. <br>
<br>
Now, when I try to run the report (I have tried it from 3 machines and the server), I get the error 'Cannot open control file'. The title is Crystal Reports Runtime. All of the reports in this app are exe reports. <br>
<br>
The query is made. I have the correct data. However, the actual report will not work. And, it needs to work, yesterday.... <br>
<br>

Excuse a few obvious suggestions that you probably have already tried...<br>
1) Does the report run from the designer? If not, the report file is probably corrupt and needs replacing.<br>
2) Have you tried deleting the reportname.crf and reportname.exe files, and recompiliing the report? <br>
<p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

I 'inherited' the Crystal application. It is a whole series of apps. <br>
<br>
I just recopied an old backup file.<br>
<br>
It worked.<br>
<br>
But, I would like to know why it blew up in the first place.

Can you reproduce the problem by having 7 users call the same report at the same time? I have heard (although I can't vouch for the accuracy of this) that the CRPE can only queue 5 reports at a time, as well as being single threaded so it can only process one report at a time. If this is true, if the CRPE is processing one report, has another 5 in the queue, and then gets another report request (lucky number 7), maybe it makes a rather ungracious exit from the world, such as you have experienced.<br>
However, as the recommended location for the CRPE installation is on the local client, it seems unlikely this would be encountered normally. Or do you have the CRPE installed on a server? <p>Malcolm Wynden<br><a href=mailto:wynden@island.dot.net>wynden@island.dot.net</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back