Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not move pc to other server

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanios

MIS
Jun 9, 2004
US
I have 2 servers (win xp pro and win 2003). I need to move a pc from the win2003 server to the win xp pro server and have the pc look at the shared folders. I have changed the workgroup from Student to Office, the IP address from 10.1.10.x to 192.168.1.x. I can see the pc's and shared docs but can not open any folder. In addition, when making the change, Internet access goes down.

I can not ping anything on the 192.168.1.x side either by ip or name.

I'm missing the obvious but can't figure out what! Any help is appreciated.

You're not giving enough info. What gives you access to the internet? What do you mean "move" a PC? Are the two "servers" on different subnets?

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Burgebees: Yes, both servers are located in 2 different buildings. Once in school using 10.1.10.x and the other in the Office building using 192.168.1.x. I need to get a pc onto the Office bldg segment 192.168.1.x and off of 10.1.10.x. Internet access is by a Verizon switch (Actiontec). Hope this helps. Thank you.

You would need to either physically move the PC to the other building, or you would need to get hold of a detailed network diagram showing you where the subnet you want is homed and probably reconfigure the switches to extend that subnet on a VLAn across from the other building.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back