Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not login as root nor have a telnet access to sun enterprise 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngabo

Technical User
Sep 18, 2003
KE
Hello wxperts,

when i reboot my server, the system comes up ok but at console login when i enter root i can not get access ie the server does not even ask for passowrd. Instead am getting the following error message /var/adm/utmpx not owned by root or not mode 644 error?, how do i get over this issue and how do i get the ok prompt from a windows keyboard?

Where is the system console located? If you're accessing the console through the RSC port, enter the "break" command at the rsc> prompt to stop the OS and get an ok prompt. If the console is on ttya, you might be able to get an ok prompt if you press F5. If you have a directly connected Sun keyboard, press Stop-A.

Dennis

Think if your own terminal, like Hyper terminal its, Ctrl, Alt and Break.

This /var/adm/utmpx stuff is a bit worrying though. Are you sure you haven't been comprimised?

I agree with unixrocks. Something smells fishy here. Either compromise or some kind of corruption.

Hope this helps.

This happened to me one time when the file mods for root's dt files got changed.

Blue [dragon]

If I wasn't Blue, I would just be a Dragon...

Can not login as root nor have a telnet access to sun enterprise 250. Thaks guys alot,but i have tried the F5 and ctrl+alt+pause options to get the ok promtm or to stiop the OS but i havent been able to.

I would like to into single user mode from the Cd so asw I can reset the etc permissions to defualt. Help me out guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back