Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not log you on because domain is unavailable... but it's not on 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
Have a XP Pro system here that's not part of a domain, yet when you go to log into it you get the following error
The system cannot log you on now because the domain <domain name> is not available.
This happens even if I load into Safe Mode (no networking support) when I'm trying to log in as the local administrator, and I've not yet mentioned the fact that the system isn't even on a domain.
Any advice?

Double check the Domain options on login (that double chevron button). This should show [machine name]This Computer rather than the Domain name. Chances are the computer thinks you are trying to login using a domain account. Change the setting and log in as the local admin.

cckens

"Not always my best shot, but I hit the target now and then"
-me

There isn't one.... I said it was "pro" before, I appoligize for that. It's Home, so no logon, just the Home logon screen.

OH, makes sense now. Try loggin in to the local admin account under Safe Mode... don't know if a password was set up or not. I think that XP Home disables the admin account "administrator" unless you log in under Safe mode. If you don't know the password, try it with no password. May work that way.

cckens

-me

irbk said:
This happens even if I load into Safe Mode (no networking support) when I'm trying to log in as the local administrator
No matter what "safe mode" option is chosen, with or without network support, I get the same error.

WHOOPS missed that one... sorry irbk...
Anyhoo... Are you getting a login screen like XP Pro in a domain, or is it standard XP with the icons that you click on to get access?
If it's the standard domain-type login have you tried the old fashioned way of logging in via domain (even if you aren't on a domain)? I.e. machine-name\username This is just suggestions that I'm reading from Google. This probably won't work, but it's worth a shot...
If it's the icon interface, can you login as the other users? If so, then that one account could be FUBAR. If you have another admin-type account I'd recommmend using it (but I gather you don't or you would have tried it).
Lemme see what else Google has to find....

cckens

-me

Can you press Ctrl+Alt+Del (twice) and bring up the Classic Login Box, and type your correct Username and Password?

Anything here?

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

It's the XP Home "log in" style where I've just got the icons to click on. Neither account works. I can't "reinstall" windows either. While the install disk sees there is another OS there, it doesn't seem to recgonize it as a Windows OS.... so I'm kind of thinking that the install is hosed...

In that case I'd run a chkdisk /r from the CD recovery console. It may solve the problem, but it can't hose it up anymore than it already is.

Worse comes to worse, hook up that disk external and suck the required data off of it...

BTW, Google has yielded nothing useful, but then again, I don't know if I'm phrasing my search correctly. Try linney's 'cuz I am.

cckens

-me

I find this VERY bizarre, because XP Home has no support for domains. The only time you should see that error is on a pro system.

Of COURSE it cant log into a domain, it has no support for domains! LOL

I vote for a hosed registry since it is telling you that it cant do something its designed specifically NOT to do in the first place.

Did you buy this software or did you get a 100% discount from a warez site? ;-)

It's the XP Home "log in" style where I've just got the icons to click on."

Accessing XP Home via " Ctrl+Alt+Del (twice) and bring up the Classic Login Box" works on a XP Home machine that I have access to?

"Use the classic logon screen
To temporarily use the classic logon screen, press CTRL+ALT+DEL two times on the Welcome logon screen".

"APPLIES TO
• Microsoft Windows XP Professional
• Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" See it in this article.

How to change the logon window and the shutdown preferences in Windows XP

Welcome Screen - Users can't type their passwords
thread779-1292591: Welcome Screen - Users can't type their passwords

Of course none of the above may solve your problem, but it is only a couple of clicks to try.

3 finger salute 2 times does give me the more "Classic" log in screen, however, as expected, it's just username and password. No domain (and as it's XP Home there shouldn't be any domain).
Still regardless of what username I put in, I get the same error.

I can't "reinstall" windows either. While the install disk sees there is another OS there, it doesn't seem to recgonize it as a Windows OS.

Well, I think at this point I've "fixed it to death". I can still boot up in Knoppix and access the drive to have the owner pull off what he wants and then format c:

As a last ditch effort, anyway to run SFC in recovery console that I'm not aware of? I tried it and just get a "command not recgonized" even though the sfc.exe file is there.

Nah, you were "on top of it as it went down".

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

eh, such is life. That's what happens when you let people use there comuters. They would work so much better if no one used them. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back