Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can Not Log Out Of WindowsXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUCHIMAMA

Programmer
Jan 25, 2004
US
I am having an issue with one of my laptops a dell d520 that will not let me shut down. When i attampt to either log out or do a shut down it just hangs on the logging off screen. I have left it sit for several minutes and just never logs out and then shuts down. My laptop is up to date on microsoft updates.

Any thoughts.

Support Our Troops

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Select both boxes.

See if you can reproduce the problem from Safe Mode. See if you can create the problem from Normal Mode but as a different user.

See if System Restore will get you back to a restore point before your problem with Windows.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Check for malware.

I see lots of recommendations here for programs like -

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

SuperAntispyware

WINDOWS XP SHUTDOWN & RESTART TROUBLESHOOTING

I've seen similar problems before however this could be anything...suggestions?

1) Check your event logs for any 'hung' applications.
2) Check the power management software is up-to-date..i've heard that problems involving this software can cause issues like this.
3) If it's a roaming profile that you're using make sure it can write back to the network folder as it logs off (ie check permissions). This usually gives some sort of error if it can't write but pays to check anyway. Not necessary if you're using local profiles only :)

First, check for Malware using MalwareByte's as mentioned above. Run a full scan after letting it find updates upon installation and then let it remove everything.

Reboot, though it will likely tell you to anyway.

Then try an SFC /SCANNOW Start RUN and paste that in - click ok.

Reboot. Report back.

I have to ask -

1. Are you on a domain, workgroup, or just a home LAN?

2. Did this problem begin occuring after installing something that runs as a service?

3. Do you do ANYthing with MySQL Server?

4. Run Reg Cleaner from AATools -

Statistically I can say this, it could potentially be a 50/50 Hardware/ Software problem. Start by stopping all non-windows-essential services, and see if there is still a hang -
Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Services,

disable non-essential software -
Start --> Run --> msconfig --> Startup.

Give this a try and let me know if anything changes.

A few other times that a similar situation has happened in my office, I have used combofix from Bleeping Computer -

it's an extremely powerful malware cleaner, and if none of the other responses work, give this a shot, you may find that you have an extreme case of malware infestation.

Beware of hackers bearing executables. Happy Hunting. 'irc.2600.net'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back