Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not log on to Sun Solaris 5.5.1 over network....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2002
GB
Hi

Weird one this. We have a Development Sun Solaris machine, I thought maybe we had a problem with the network card as sometimes we could not Telnet/FTP/Ping it, and sometimes we could. Then it got really weird, I could Telnet/FTP/Ping into the machine but a user next to me (when I say next to me, this person is connected to the same Hub) could not connect to any of those services, then I rebooted the server and it was the other way around, there is another user (same hub again) who could next see it, not even a Ping?? I am guesting (wrongly no doubt) that the packets are getting lost somewhere, so I checked the Hosts file that was OK, but I am at a bit of a loss now.

Any pointer/idea's would be great

Thanks. Simon

check the hub and see if the packets are going thru or not. Could be that the hub might be dropping the packets and not the sun box.

check to see if your netmask is correct, you're connection speed/duplex matches the switch/hub and look at var/adm messages

Also check netstat -i to see if you have network errors or collisions.

Thanks for all the information.
Netstat does not show any error/collisions, netmask looks fine, I would have to look more at the hub stuff, Maunir when you say check the hub for dropped packets, how would you do that???
Anyway, I thought it was a good time to change the IP address, as today I had another machine giving me giving me network problems, and it turned out to be the old IP conflict (had a machine missing from the fixed ip database), so I thought I would change the Sun IP just in case, and so far it is working far better.

Simon

that will do it, generally a dup'd IP will pretty much cause mass chaos and odd problems! Jarod, The Lab Guy
[morning]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back