Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not load pewxx2.dll Trend Micro. Virus damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedDisk

Programmer
Jul 25, 2002
US
I am getting a message can not load pewxx2.dll and then as if a timer is running at some point after that message the system reboots.

It is not found in search of registry with boot to dos and edit on the failing machine or another Windows 98 machine.

Unfortunately I can not get to a point where I can run StartED and remove the virus software from my system.

Search of google on pewxx2.dll turns up only one ref in for language I can not read
Trend Micro site has nothing and I do not have another system running it nor do I want to battle installing it on
a test system.

Any idea how to find pewxx2.dll I would like to install it but it is not refereneced in DLL database at MS or at Trend Micro.

Personally I think it is still a virus...as my efforts to boot to diskette and use F-PROT removed some 40 viruses.

F-PROT says though you must then go back and scan with your windows based virus s.w. (win 98 SE).

I am trying to get back to that point.

Could also be unstable memory but I was able to put a NIC in and install Zone allarm and update the Trendmicro software on line
at broadband speeds before the system began the reboot.

Even reboots reisntalling win 98 at about 21 mins left.

It is bad when there is only one GOOGLE post on a key word.

At this point I am running with no cards and it still reboots (Pent 200 128M RAM).

Ideas?

Richard Stein

So you can't get to windows? What about safe mode? Turn on your computer and keep tapping the F8 key. Does the startup menu appear where you can choose safe mode?

I have no idea what pewxx2.dll is for. It might be a virus file. When exactly are you getting this error? What viruses did you find? With 40 different ones found you may be better off trying to format the drive and reinstall windows. Maybe the viruses caused alot of system damage.

But random restarts can be cuased by hardware problems like a faulty power supply, ram, or motherboard. Hard to say for sure why it's doing that.

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode and seeing if you can work on the problem there? All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back