Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not install XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsav

Technical User
Jan 18, 2003
US
I have a pc that has been running on Windows ME. This was preloaded when i bought it and i just have a system recovery disc. I put a new hard drive in and decided to load windows XP pro. However, after loading windows files onto the newly formatted disc, the pc gets to the stage where it in the bottom left corner 'windows is starting up' the pc just freezes. I have tried both XP Pro and a XP Home that i know both work and i get the same story with each.

The PC is athlon xp1300 and it has 256 mb of sdram..

It is not the hard disk as i can get the old system disk to load windows me on to it.

Any suggestions/answers greatly appreciated.

thanks

Jim

Hello there.

You might want to update your BIOS and reset it to defaults.
Thats all i can think of at the moment.

I've had these problem couple of times, and BIOS was the issue most of the time as well.

Did you verify that your hardware is XP compliant? There is a tool on the MS website that will check this.

If everything there looks okay, my solution would be to remove peripheral equipment (modem, network, sound, basically any external device) and try the install. If you can get it installed, then you can plug in each of the components ONE AT A TIME, let XP detect them, install the latest drivers, then move on to the next item.

Hi jim...

i had a similar problem, and the only way to install the OS, was entering to the pc setup and disable the shadow ram and cache.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back