Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not install local printer via TS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hainley

IS-IT--Management
Oct 10, 2002
US
Now, that headline looks confusing...here's the deal:

Client machine connects to the TS with no problem. Client machine has a HP 1320N LaserJet connected to it and it works fine...keep in mind this is connected via USB.

The environment tab for the user that logs onto the TS has the 'Connect Client Printers at Logon' checked. Problem is, for some reason, this printer is not showing up?

Thoughts? Suggestions? Whiskey?

Note: Client machine is Windows 2000, TS machine is Windows 2000 Server.

A little more info: the client machine is part of a domain called X. X is a Windows NT4 Domain. The TS is part of a domain called Y and it is ALL Windows 2000. Could the fact that NT4 doesn't support USB have anything at all to do with it? Doesn't make sense, because the printer is attached to a workstation in the X domain and can connect fine to the Y domain. It's only the printer that is at issue.

Do you see an entry in event viewer telling you a client printer connection failed? Do you have the drivers for the printer installed on the terminal server?

Yes..the drivers for the printer are installed on the Terminal Server....I don't see it saying anyting in the EV on success or failure of adding the printer

Keep in mind that I can't manually redirect a USB connection on TS either.

Also, how does one make a TS port 'active'?

Shouldn't matter. When you log in the printer on your desktop is kind of "shared out" to the terminal server then it installs it sort of like a network printer, it's all very fancy and shouldn't care if it is USB or what. The most common problem is that the drivers are not installed on the TS, so printer autocreation fails but that should show up in event viewer in the system folder.

Is it only a problem with this printer, or is it not autocreating any printers? Anything else listed in printers?

Try installing a parallel printer to see if it does the same thing?

This printer doesn't have a parallel hookup option.

I will go logon and double check the Event Viewer and report back here shortly.

After a lot of messing around with this...I saw the printer FINALLY show up in the Event Viewer...But..

After a few minutes the event viewer shows that this printer was 'successfully unpublished'.....

HELP!

I fixed this issue by enabling printer pooling and selecting the USB Virtual port....all is well now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back