Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Can not get a "hot file" to "link" properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake1

MIS
Aug 6, 2001
US
I have created a report using a database table and appropriate fields. One field is a code and I need the description to be included. I have created a "hot file" that has the code and description. I have added those two fields to the report and associated the code field in the "hot file" to the code field in the "code field" in the database report but it does not seem to function correctly. I have not been able to find much information regarding "hot files".

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Jake1,

If you can be more clear on what exactly is not working...it would be easy to help.
Anyways, since you said u created a hotfile to get the description of the code, i am assuming 'description' is in a different database. If code and description are in the same database, then you could skip using hotfile...if this is the case...lemme know.

Did you create a join in the catalog between your hotfile and the database table on the 'code' field..

explain your problem in more detail...

Code and description are not in the same database. I did get some assistance and it seems to be working. The explanation was that you need to use the "filter" and made the "code" in the original database file equal the "code" in the hotfile and then the description will come in. I have not found this information on how to connect/link hotfiles anywhere in any documentation, online help files, etc. Do you have any recommended books, documentation, etc. that would better explain hotfiles and using and setting them up?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back